14 Oct Our WordPress Sports Tipping Plugin
Sports tipping is a big growth area. Ok, maybe not as big as fantasy sports nowadays, but sports tipping is a fun activity to keep your audiences engaged during a sporting season.
So when we wanted to set-up a tipping competition on our sports site, The Roar, we looked to see if there were any sports tipping plugins available for Wordpess. Unfortunately not. (We’re massive fans of the content management system WordPress. I reckon we know the platform inside out.)
So rather than pay yearly subscription costs to one of the large tipping providers, we decided to engineer our own sports tipping plugin for WordPress.
We get the following benefits:
- each tipper creates an account and profile on our site using WordPress’s user management function
- more recurring traffic to our site
- sponsorship opportunities available
- viral spread as people invite mates to join them in their tipping comp
Some of the features of our sports tipping plugin include:
- ability to set-up any number of tipping competitions, for ANY sport (or event – think tipping on a Presidential election)
- ability to customise whether missing tips for a round receive all home or all away games
- ability to customise points model for win, lose and draw results
- ability for a user to enter one or many open competitions
- comments on each round by fellow tippers (‘Go the Waratahs!’)
- reminder email sent by the system, tailored to the competitions a tipper is registered for
- import address book to invite mates to the tipping comp
- powerplay concept (each round one game gets nominated for double the points if you get it correct)
- open questions (ask an open question and mark it at any stage in the tournament)
- leaderboards by sport showing tipping rankings and movement within the round
- display of ‘legend tippers of the round’ board (those tippers who got all correct each round)
- and lots, lots more.
And here it is in action on our sports site, The Roar: Sports tipping plugin for WordPress on The Roar.